Academic Intensive Japanese Program (AIJP)
|Who is this course aimed at?||Why should I choose AIJP?||What does the course entail?|
|What kind of time commitment does AIJP demand?||Questions?||How do I start the application process?|
Who is this course aimed at?
AIJP takes in a range of students from a variety of Japanese levels and cultural backgrounds. We accept students who range from beginner to advanced level (meaning a level commensurate with working in a Japanese company or working in a Japanese University).
AIJP is ideal for those who can make a long term commitment to their Japanese studies and is recommended for students who are committed to extending their Japanese ability beyond everyday conversation (e.g. the weather, ordering in a restaurant) as well as for those who wish to graduate from Japanese tertiary institutions.
AIJP students may use it as a stepping stone to:
- Help them find a job in Japan or in a company where Japanese is predominantly used.
- Pass the Japanese Language Proficiency Test Level 1 or 2.
- Give them the foundation to eventually study at a Japanese university or vocational college.
Why should you choose AIJP?
When we consider taking on any field of study, including Japanese, we usually have a number of reasons for doing so. In the case of Japanese, some reasons may include:
- Studying as a hobby.
- Studying to maintain basic communication with family and friends.
- Studying to understand a certain part of Japanese culture such as manga.
Others may study Japanese as they see a bigger role for it in their day to day lives. They may choose to be long term residents of Japan or they may deal with Japanese clients in the course of their employment. For those who fit the above description, a course of study that is measured in weeks rather than months may be insufficient to achieve their goals.
YAMASA’s AIJP course is geared towards those who have the time and commitment to achieve the latter set of goals. As the course can last from 3 months to 2 years, you can be guaranteed that the opportunities you will be given will set you in good stead to achieve the long term goals that you have set yourself.
YAMASA’s AIJP course prides itself on its:
- Emphasis on individual learning needs/goals: Borrowing from Howard Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligences and Fleming’s VARK modalities, we are conscious of the many different ways people process information. Recognizing this reality is doubly important when one is dealing with a student population as diverse as ours. As such, our curriculum has been designed to insure that your individual learning style is catered for.
This emphasis on the individual is best represented in the provision of our unique elective classes which number over 30 in total. By focusing on what students want to achieve, we are able to set out a program of learning that will allow you to realize your goals.
To learn more about the elective stream that best suits you, please refer to the following table and click the link for further information.
- Maximum class sizes of fifteen: Due to the cap on class sizes, it can be guaranteed that you will not get lost in the shuffle and that your needs on both an educational and personal front are appropriately catered for.
- Diversity of learning environments: In addition to providing a fresh range of teaching styles, AIJP insures that you will not be ‘cooped up’ in the same classroom for hours on end. As mentioned earlier, our emphasis on flexibility and diversity guarantees that you will not only be studying within YAMASA but you will also be moving about outside the classroom in order to experience what colloquial Japanese sounds like (such as conducting group interviews with members of the local community in locations outside school grounds).
- Access to online learning portals: Thanks to YAMASA’s patented Online Centre for Japanese Learning as well as our online Kanji dictionary, you will have access to additional learning materials that are innovative, engaging and cutting edge. Through these learning portals, you will be able to further enrich the knowledge that you have acquired in class at home via your PC or hand held tablet.
- Exposure to practical Japanese via hands on content: As part of YAMASA’s AIJP course, you will be given the chance to practice the language that you have acquired in real world situations. By harnessing the relationships that we have built with local businesses in the area, you will be have access to opportunities where you can hone your Japanese prowess beyond the class room.
By witnessing this slice of Japanese society up close, you will be able to better grasp the values and mores that make this unique culture tick. Through this understanding, you will be also able to attain a greater ability to navigate the social landscape of Japan.
- All classes run for 50 minutes with a ten minute break between classes.
- To see a complete list of what elective classes that YAMASA provides at the AIJP level, please click the following link.
- Tests are supplied, both written, multiple choice and verbal (?) to insure that you know where you are at in terms of your learning.
- Private lessons Fully customizable one to one Lessons
- JBPP Japanese for Business Purposes Program
|Elective stream||Elective stream content|
|Kanji (1,2,3, Kanji Marathon)||A series of classes designed to increase your recognition of the Chinese characters used in the Japanese language.|
|Speaking (1,2,3,4)||Lessons aimed at improving your proficiency in Japanese conversation.|
|Listening (1,2,3,4)||This stream is designed to allow you to keep up with the pace that everyday Japanese conversations are conducted in.|
|Reading (1,2,3,4)||Electives designed to allow you to read standard Japanese texts in addition to other kinds of publications.|
|Respectful language/Business Japanese||The content of the classes is aimed at the nuances and peculiarities involved in doing business in Japan and functioning in formal situations.|
|JLPT Classes||Classes aimed at passing levels 1 and 2 of the Japanese Proficiency test (See link)|
|Japanese for University Exams||Classes aimed at passing the exam that allows you to go to a Japanese University.|
|Elementary Revision||Lessons aimed at brushing up on the basics of the four main areas of language learning: listening, reading, writing and speaking.|
What does the course entail?
AIJP students are divided into 7 different ability levels (as decided by the results of a placement test that students will sit upon admission)
|AIJP||Beginner 1 (101)|
|Beginner 2 (102)|
|Beginner 3 (103)||N2|
|Intermediate 1 (201)|
|Intermediate 2 (201)|
|Upper Intermediate (300) (6 month curriculum)||N1|
|AJSP (*)||Advanced 1 (1 year curriculum)|
(*) The advanced level is part of the seperate AJSP course which requires a different placement test to enter.
An average day in class usually consists of the following:
|9:00 - 9:50||Lesson|
|10:00 - 10:50|
|11:00 - 11:50|
|11:50 - 12:40||Lunch Break|
|12:40 - 13:30||Lesson|
|13:40 - 14:30||Elective lesson||Elective lesson||Elective lesson|
|14:40 - 15:30|
reading, writing, speaking and listening. These are run in rotation to insure that the learning needs of all students are met.
and consist of electives designed to help students achieve their individual study goals.
AIJP can also be taken concurrently with the following classes. Please click the link below for more information concerning each class.
What kind of time commitment does AIJP demand?
|How long does the course run for?||From 3 months to 2 years broken into 3 month terms.|
|When does the course start?||We run student intakes four times annually:
January (with the term finishing in March)
April (with the term finishing in March)
July (with the term finishing in September)
October (with the term finishing in December)
|What days do classes run?||Monday through Friday.|
|How many total classes per term will I take?||You will take a total of 239 classes every 3 month term consisting of 207 core lessons and 32 elective classes.|
|What time does class start and finish?||Classes start at 9 o’clock and finish at 3:30 with a 50 minute break in between.|
|What is the length of an average class?||50 minutes|
You can access the full daily time table and student intakes by downloading the following PDF file.
If there is anything that you still need to know about, we would be delighted to answer any of your inquiries. Feel free to contact us at any time via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or to call us on 81 (0)564-55-8111.
To find out about the visa requirements and/or tuition fees for this course, please click here.
Note: We aim to reply to all inquiries within 24 hours (excluding Japanese Public Holidays).
A downloadable PDF copy of this page is available here.
How do I start the application process?
Congratulations! By choosing to study at YAMASA, you have taken the first step towards improving your Japanese language skills!
The next step that you will need to take is to start the application process.