The minimum entry requirements differ slightly for each program, but the following base guidelines generally apply to all programs. Please read the program information (blue buttons on left side of page below Admissions) for program specific details.
1) Academic Background: Applicants requiring a student visa, or wishing to enter an Academic program must have a minimum of 12 years of full-time education in their native country or have a diploma equivalent to a Japanese senior high school diploma. (For Hong Kong or Malaysian residents, please note that Form 5 may also be acceptable - though you will need to apply very early as interviews may be required.)
2) Language Background: With the exception of certain programs such as the Advanced Japanese Studies Program, or Business Program, prior knowledge of Japanese is not required. However it is usually helpful if you have some experience of studying Japanese or a foreign language before.
3) Aptitude: Applicants need to be able to prove that they have academic abilities equal to or higher than that of the average Japanese high school graduate. Proof of matriculation or college background is usually sufficient.
4) Documentation where required: All students must supply accurate information in the educational background section of the admissions application form and be prepared to submit supporting documentation if requested by Yamasa's Admissions Office. If the program you are applying for requires that you obtain a student visa, then you must be able to prove that you have completed a minimum of 12 years of full-time education or have a diploma recognized to be the equivalent to a Japanese senior high school diploma and complete the student visa application kit as required.
5) Minimum Age Requirement: If the program you are applying for requires that you obtain a student visa, then you must be over the age of 18. As a general rule all students need to be 18 years and over regardless of visa, although please note that some exceptions can be made - but only by directly requesting a waiver from the Admissions Office. These exceptions can usually only be made for younger students if they have reasonable levels of Japanese proficiency. There is no upper age limit. Please note that the average age and academic background of Yamasa's students is significantly higher than that of any other Japanese language school. A high level of maturity and self-motivation is expected.
5) Guarantors: Citizens of certain countries will need to find guarantors. Please check the Visa Requirements section to see if this applies to you as no exceptions are made.
Questions regarding this file...
If any of the information in this file is unclear, or if you need more detailed information, please click here and read the study/applications section of the FAQ before contacting us.
1-2-1 Hanehigashi-machi, Okazaki City, Aichi Prefecture, JAPAN 444-0832
Tel: +81 (0)564 55 8111 Fax: +81 (0)564 55 8113 Email: Inquiries